What if the secret to acquiring ‘character’ is failure?
School administrators wrestle with how to teach character
‘For the headmaster of an intensely competitive school, Randolph, who is 49, is surprisingly skeptical about many of the basic elements of a contemporary high-stakes American education. He did away with Advanced Placement classes in the high school soon after he arrived at Riverdale; he encourages his teachers to limit the homework they assign; and he says that the standardized tests that Riverdale and other private schools require for admission to kindergarten and to middle school are “a patently unfair system” because they evaluate students almost entirely by I.Q.
“This push on tests,” he told me, “is missing out on some serious parts of what it means to be a successful human.”…’
The Latest Nielsen ‘Social Media Report’
Interesting key points:
1. Social networks and blogs continue to dominate Americans time online and now account for nearly a quarter of total time spent on the internet
2. Nearly 4 in 5 active internet users visit social networks and blogs
3. 41% of blogger users have a household income of over $75k
4. Close to 40% of social media users access social media content from their social media phone
5. 25% of WordPress visitors have a bachelor’s degree
6. 53% of active adult social network users follow a brand
7. 32% of active adult social network users follows a celebrity
Windows 8 Developer Preview Hands-on
‘Microsoft is definitely blurring the line between mobile and desktop operating systems with Windows 8, which combines an attractive Windows Phone-like interface that’s optimized for touch with the versatility of traditional computing (when you want it). You’ll also enjoy much faster boot times and be able to purchase apps from the new Windows Store.
‘Developers will be able to download the developer preview this week, but we got an in-depth look at the OS and wanted to share our impressions…’
Choose Your Input Weapon: Touchscreen, Mouse, or Pen